Sunday, October 25, 2009

How have things been going for you?

“Brutal”, “challenging”, “not even talking about it,” “scary”... what is your word to describe how work has been for you in the last year?

I’m putting together some thoughts on this subject and I need to hear from you musicians. If you want to send me info at hannah@musicvillage.ca I would be really glad. If you want your name to remain anonymous for the writing I do, please put something like “don’t use my name” in the subject heading.

I guess that I can’t ask people to share without sharing myself, so here goes. This year has been bad, really bad. When the economy was tanking, I was enjoying collecting employment insurance and taking care of my baby, Etienne. I didn’t even notice, really, how things started to slow down for my musician husband. I was thinking to myself that EI was not great money, but that soon I’d be back to my work as a Music Director.

Then things changed really fast.

I was laid off from my position as MD, and had no work, not a thing. EI ended, and I was scrambling to find something to do to make money. I wanted to apply for composition grants, but couldn’t get to it, as I was so busy taking care of the baby and doing home stuff, while my husband went out to do jobs. I was looking at retail, or restaurants, or anything. I went to interviews for music schools that wanted me to invest $500 for certification and spend three months in training, even though I’ve been teaching and training since I was a teenager.

So what did I do?

I got Music Village up and running. I set up our website, made online presence and am going through my contacts to let them know about the work that we do. I’ve gone to networking sessions and training sessions.
I’m looking for publication for my children’s book. I’m making my album (on credit). I’m putting myself and the artists I represent out there so that people can find us and bring us for their live events. I’m writing and recording music it for film. And on and on...

I’m interested to hear from you. How have you felt through the last year? What have you done to make things last? How have you felt yourself represented in the media? What does your community look like right now.

You can respond to me at hannah@musicvillage.ca. I think it’s important for our community and our city to hear how we’ve been coping.

When things are tough, remember that “this too shall pass.” This is just a season in our lives.

Hannah

No comments:

Post a Comment